Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gluten Free Fruit Pizza

Since I've been gluten free for 3 1/2 years I have had a lot of practice trying to find things that I like. Admittedly, I can be pretty picky (NOT all the time, contrary to popular opinion) and I'm leery of trying new foods...SO in light of all that I will share with you all some of my favorite recipes.

Recently I got a new cookbook, Gluten-Free Made Simple by Carol Field Dahlstrom, Elizabeth Dahlstrom Burnley and Marcia Shultz Dahlstrom from my brother. IT ROCKS MY WORLD.

Fruit Pizza

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour (I use Arrowhead Mills)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup carbonated water
1 tsp vanilla
1 8-ounce tub cream cheese
6 cups fruit pieces -strawberries, kiwi, mango, blueberries, raspberries, seedless grapes.

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease  large baking sheets and set aside. In a large bowl stir together sugar and butter until well mixed. Add egg and mix well.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring until commbined. Add carbonated water and vanilla and mix just until blended. Divide dough into 3 portions.
4. Place dough portions on baking sheets. Using your fingers, press and shape each dough portion into a circle about 9 inches in diameter. Build up edge of each dough circle.
5. Using a fork, make holes in the bottom of each dough circle. Bake about 15 minutes or until edges of crusts begin  to brown. Cool on baking sheets.
6. Spread cream cheese on top of the cooled crusts and arrange fruit.

Those are the book's directions. I will tell you that I made one big one and one small one. I've just used the cream cheese and while it was good...it wasn't as good as I wanted...SO I added a tsp of vanilla to the cream cheese and 2 tbsp of brown sugar to the cream cheese and instead of using an 8oz tub I used 2 bricks of regular cream cheese. I warmed it up and made it as smooth as I could before I spread it on the cooled crust. Our family thought it was better that way and added yumminess. BE SURE TO POKE HOLES IN THE CRUST BEFORE YOU BAKE IT...otherwise its BAD. Its also going to feel sorta limp while you are shaping it on your sheets. I'm used to shaping pizza dough so I guess I thought it'd feel like that and it wasn't at all...made me nervous. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment